Akara made with black-eye beans
250 gramsblack-eye beans
1 chilli, finely chopped (red! )
1 small onion, chopped (onion! )
palm oil or vegetable oil for deep frying
How to make Akara?
1. Preparation: Pick over the black eye beans removing any bad ones. Soak the beans for 8 hours or overnight in cold water.
2. Drain the beans and rub them between the palms of your hands to remove the skins from the beans. Pour water over the beans and the skins will rise to the top, remove them and drain the beans thoroughly.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, wok or deep fryer to 180°-190°C.
4. Place the beans with the chilies and onions in a food processor and puree them to a smooth paste. Place the mixture into a bowl and stir in the water gradually with a wooden spoon until you have a thick paste that falls easily from the spoon and is not to runny. Season the mixture with a little salt to taste.
5. Deep fry a tablespoon of the mixture at a time in the hot oil for 1-2 minutes on each side until they are golden. Drain the akara on kitchen paper and keep them warm until ready to serve.
Preparation: 15 minutes plus 6-8 hours soaking of the beans
Cooking: 10 minutes